Are you unhappy with protruding, stretched abdominal skin? If so, a tummy tuck may be right for you. This aesthetic procedure removes excess flab around your tummy area, creating a firmer, flatter midriff. Feel more confident and restore your self-esteem! Many women opt for abdominoplasty as part of a mommy makeover, although men also make up a significant portion of tummy tuck patients.
To find out if you are a good candidate for a tummy tuck in Las Vegas, please call Cambeiro Plastic Surgery at 702-566-8300.
- What Is Abdominoplasty?
- Is A Tummy Tuck Right For You?
- Male Abdominoplasty
- Types Of Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Tummy Tuck Cost
- The Abdominoplasty Procedure
- Incisions And Scarring
- Recovery From Abdominoplasty
- Longevity Of Results
- Questions To Ask Your Tummy Tuck Surgeon
- Your Consultation in Las Vegas
What Is Abdominoplasty?
Tummy tuck surgery creates a flatter, tauter tummy area. You may have also heard the procedure referred to as "abdominoplasty." In a tummy tuck, excess abdominal skin is removed, loose abdominal muscles are tightened, and the remaining skin is re-draped and sutured to the firmer, better defined body contour.
Is A Tummy Tuck Right For You?
Reasons to consider a tummy tuck include:
- Excess, loose abdominal skin
- Extra abdominal fat
- Puffy abdominal appearance
- Protruding abdomen
If you aren't sure whether a tummy tuck is right for you, Dr. Cambeiro can help you consider all of your options for achieving your desired aesthetic outcome. In some cases, liposuction alone is adequate to remove a little extra fat on the body. Or, if your dissatisfaction stems from a large amount of sagging skin around your lower body and thighs, but not necessarily excess fat, then a body lift may be recommended.
Tummy tucks are often sought because of:
- Pregnancy: Oftentimes women are the demographic interested in tummy tuck surgery because of the physical changes caused by pregnancy. Loose, extra skin and separated abdominal muscles are very common following pregnancy. A tummy tuck also removes stretch marks, as long as those stretch marks are located on the skin that is being removed.
- Massive weight loss: Women and men who have lost a lot of weight may also be interested in tummy tuck surgery. Large-scale weight loss – such as occurs after bariatric surgery – leaves behind deflated, sagging skin that won't respond to diet and exercise. A tummy tuck removes extra fat and skin around the abdomen.
- Heredity: Sometimes extra skin and fat are simply the result of family genetics. If you cannot get the abdominal fat and skin to shrink despite diet and exercise, then abdominoplasty may be right for you.
Dr. Arthur Cambeiro will also discuss your health history with you. He will make sure you are a great candidate for any procedure he recommends. Dr. Cambeiro is board certified by The American Board of Surgery and The American Board of Plastic Surgery. He trained at the Mayo Clinic and has been providing outstanding aesthetic results to people in Las Vegas for decades.
Statistics show rising rates of plastic surgery among men, nationwide. Tummy tucks are one such procedure that can be customized to men's cosmetic goals. As a man, you may have a protruding abdomen that doesn't shrink, no matter how many crunches you do. A tummy tuck is often the best way to remove this stubborn fat and skin for good. Dr. Cambeiro can help you decide if it's right for you.
Types Of Tummy Tuck Surgery
- Full tummy tuck: The standard, full tummy tuck removes excess skin from the navel downward. An incision is made around the navel and across the lower abdomen.
- Mini tummy tuck: This abdominoplasty is limited to skin beneath the belly button. No incision is made around the navel, and the lower abdomen incision tends to be shorter than that of a full tummy tuck.
- Panniculectomy: This adapted tummy tuck technique removes a large, hanging apron of excess skin and fat known as a "pannus," in addition to tightening stretched abdominal muscles.
Tummy Tuck Cost
The cost of this procedure varies by patient. When you visit our practice for a consultation, our staff will make sure you have a clear explanation of all the costs and fees associated with any procedure Dr. Cambeiro recommends.
In addition to accepting cash, check and credit cards, we accept payments through CareCredit. If you wish, you can apply for a financing plan through CareCredit, which allows you to pay for a tummy tuck and other aesthetic procedures in monthly installments.
The Abdominoplasty Procedure
Dr. Cambeiro will tailor your procedure to create the outcome you want. A typical, standard tummy tuck procedure usually includes the following:
- An incision is made across the lower abdomen and around the navel (no incision is made around the navel in a mini tummy tuck)
- The skin is loosened from the rib cage
- The separated and loose abdominal muscles are repaired with the placement of sutures
- Excess fat is removed
- Skin is pulled down to a tighter, firmer contour and the excess is removed
- A hole is cut around the navel and the skin is sutured, since the skin has been pulled down
- The incisions are closed
Dr. Cambeiro is personally committed to the safety and well-being of each and every patient at our practice. Our entire team will make sure you are ready for your procedure well in advance, and that you have as comfortable and convenient an experience as is possible.
Incisions And Scarring
The tummy tuck does leave a scar where the incision is made across the lower abdomen. There may also be a slight scar around the navel or higher on the hip bones, depending on your specific procedure.
The scars will look pink and raised immediately after the surgery, but they will become flatter and lighter over time. Dr. Cambeiro makes every effort to place the incision in a way that the scars can be hidden beneath undergarments and swim suits in the future.
Although the procedure leaves scars, patients are overwhelmingly happy with their results and do not feel that the scars are overly apparent or a long-term disadvantage.
Recovery From Abdominoplasty
Like any surgical procedure, you will need to take time to rest and recover following your surgical appointment. Most people are back to work after a week or two. Physically demanding jobs may require more downtime.
Here are several other things you may want to expect during your recovery:
- Plan to rest for the first few days, getting up periodically to walk around and keep your blood circulating
- Have someone stay with you the first 24 hours after surgery
- Plan to take downtime from exercise and activity for 2-3 weeks, except for walking
- Don't do any heavy lifting for 4-6 weeks
- You should have a good idea of the results after a few weeks, once the majority of swelling has gone away
- Minor swelling may persist for several months
Dr. Cambeiro and our team are here to provide guidance and support throughout your recovery. You will meet with Dr. Cambeiro a few days after your surgical appointment, for a follow-up. We will continue to be available should you have any questions or concerns while you heal.
Longevity Of Results
Tummy tuck results are more or less permanent: More or less because certain things may cause weight gain and a return to abdominal sagging. Pregnancy and weight gain are the two main things that can affect your results. Many women choose to undergo a tummy tuck only when they are no longer planning for more children. Patients generally pursue a healthy lifestyle after tummy tuck to maintain a stable body weight.
Unfortunately, there's not much you can do to stave off the passage of time! While aging and the effects of gravity may cause some slight abdominal sagging, it most likely will not be as pronounced as it would be if you had not had the procedure. Our patients continue to enjoy their results for many, many years.
Questions To Ask Your Tummy Tuck Surgeon
During your consultation with Dr. Cambeiro, we hope you will ask any and all questions on your mind. We know that a fully informed patient is a satisfied patient. If you aren't sure what to ask, here are a few ideas:
- Am I a good candidate for abdominoplasty?
- Are there any other procedures I should consider?
- Where will the procedure be performed?
- Are you certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery?
- What is my risk of complications?
- What can I do to ensure a successful procedure and recovery?
- What should I expect during the recovery?
- How long will I have to stay home from work?
- What things will I be unable to do while I recover, and for how long?
- Do you have before-and-after photos of past tummy tuck patients I can view?
Dr. Cambeiro wants you to be confident about any decision you make related to aesthetic surgery.
Your Consultation in Las Vegas
If you live in Henderson, Lake Havasu, Las Vegas or the surrounding areas, and want to learn more about tummy tuck surgery and your candidacy, please call Cambeiro Plastic Surgery at 702-566-8300 to arrange a consultation.